ADORATION AND EXPOSITION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT
THE EUCHARISTIC ADORATION AT THE BASILICA IS
EVERY FIRST FRIDAY OF THE MONTH
AFTER THE 7:30 PM MASS
GUIDELINES FOR PERPETUAL EUCHARISTIC ADORATION
- What is Parish Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration?
Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration is a Eucharistic devotion whereby members of a Parish (or some other entity) unite in making continuous adoration before the Most Blessed Sacrament (in most cases, exposed) throughout the twenty-four hours of the day, seven days a week.
- Is Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration the only type of Eucharistic adoration apart from the Mass?
No. There are several other forms. However, a most popular and grace-laden program is the full-time, permanent adoration of Our Lord exposed in a monstrance in which adorers commit themselves to at least one assigned hour each week.
- Why is it necessary to have permanent exposition?
People are far more appreciative of exposition and will thus be more responsible in keeping their Holy Hour with Our Lord. What more wonderful way to witness to our belief in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Most Blessed Sacrament than by faithful attendance at a weekly hour of Adoration. A prayerful, silent yet quite clear profession of faith. Never forgetting the words of Our Lord when He gave His Eucharistic discourse. “Indeed, this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks upon the Son and believes in Him, shall have eternal life. Him will I raise up on the last day.” (John 6:40)
- What is another good reason for establishing Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration?
To provide an easy, attractive and practical way of rendering God adoration, thanksgiving, reparation and petition.
- Besides prayer for the success of the program, what is the most important single factor in a successful Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration program?
The wholehearted support of the laity.
- What are some of the spiritual benefits and graces generally attributed to the establishment of a Parish Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration program?
a) Increased Mass attendance and Confessions.
b) Increase in priestly and religious vocations.
c) The return of fallen-away Catholics and conversions to the faith.
d) Heightened spirituality. “Personal sanctification and the sanctification of all Catholic action.” (Pope Pius XII)
e) Marriages restored.
f) Greater unity.
g) Inner peace.
- With the high rate of crime, isn’t it dangerous to go around the clock, 24 hours a day?
Pope John Paul II has said that all the evils of the world could be overcome through the great power of Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. The devil is put to flight wherever Jesus is adored in the Most Blessed Sacrament. Many Pastors report that since P.E.A. has been established in their Parishes, crime has declined, particularly in crime ridden and dangerous areas. Believe that Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament is the Lord who cast out demons, calmed the sea and is infinitely more powerful than any law enforcement agency on this earth. “Fear is useless. What is needed is trust.” (Mark 5:36)
- Does Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration place any added burden on the Pastor of a Parish?
No, it should not. This is a lay apostolate, and it is lay men and women who take the responsibility of organizing and covering the hours.