The Huniño (Huni Halad alang kang Senyor Santo Niño de Cebu) began in 2007 on the idea of promoting the devotion to the Sto. Niño through songs, likewise, to gather original song compositions which can be used for the liturgical celebrations in honor of the Holy Child. Initiated by the Augustinian friars of the Basilica, these original song compositions were products of faith, devotion, and faith experiences of the many devotees of the Holy Child Jesus around the globe, in particular those gifted in the field of music. Though many song compositions were already collected in honor of the Sto. Niño, the Huniño remains a viable vehicle in continuing the evangelization mission through music.
For this year’s Huniño:
- Open Category for devotees who would like to express their faith experiences:
- The composition must be designed for choral interpretation.
- The 13th HUNIÑO Songwriting Competition is open to all amateur and professional composers.
- All entries must be liturgical in form.
- The song entry must be an original composition of an individual or a collaborative work of the composer and the lyricist.
- The composition submitted for screening must never been published or performed publicly.
- All songs must not exceed four (4) minutes.
- The lyrics may be in Cebuano, Tagalog or English or a combination of language and dialect.
- The composer may submit as many entries as they want. However, only one song will be the finalist based on the highest rank during the screening.
- All songs must be in choral arrangement.
- A guitar or piano may accompany the song entry submitted for screening. A musical arrangement of an entry is welcome.
- No entry must be interpreted in acapella.
- One entry form per composition together with 5 copies of the lyrics of the song must be submitted.
- Entry forms can be down loaded ONLINE through BMSN Website https://santoninodecebubasilica.org/ or they may be obtained at the Rector’s Office of the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino at Osmena Blvd., Cebu City with telephone number (032) 255-6697 to 99 local 400.
- All composition must be submitted in MP3 format (USB if physically submitted at the Rector’s Office of the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino or online at https://santoninodecebubasilica.org/).
- Deadline for the submission of entries is on Thursday, June 15, 2023 before 5 o’clock in the afternoon.
- Grand Finals Night is on Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 7:30 in the evening at the Sto. Nino Pilgrim Center at the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino.
- All Augustinian Friars and seminarians of the Province of Sto. Nino de Cebu Philippines are exempted from joining the competition.
- For more inquiries, please call The Secretary of the Rector’s Office of the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino at telephone number (032) 255-6697 to 99 local 400.
- The criteria for judging the for the screening are:
- Musicality . . . . . . . . . . . . 40%
- Lyrics . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40%
- Originality . . . . . . . . . . . . 20%
- Total . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .100%
- Prizes at stake are the following:
- 1st Prize………… Php 100,000.00 and trophy
- 2nd Prize………… Php 75,000.00 and trophy
- 3rd Prize………… Php 50,000.00 and trophy
- Consolation Prizes… Php 20,000.00 and trophy
- Best Interpreter……. Php 10,000.00 and trophy
- Best Music Video…… Php 5,000.00 and trophy
- Devotees’ Choice Award…Php 5,000.00 and trophy
More updates of the Huniño